Skip to main content

The Real Winner of NAMCOS President

The Real Winner of NAMCOS President
    -The reincarnation of a past comrade to the post of the president
     -The future of NAMCOS in the next 10years to come?

Before the journey began, I was motivated by a friend of mine (Name withheld), a student of this school from IFMS. The ambition started from home during our ND1 holiday. During that time, I prepared myself as advised by my friend. I wrote and typed my manifesto and did all I could to steer the affairs if elected. Lately that time, I knew we were just three running for the post of President; Joshua Adeyeye, Kehinde Ayoola and myself. I joined last.
The first thing I did was making my ambition known to all and sundry in the department as a whole. I did a neat write-up sent to all our WhatsApp group both ND1 and ND2 stating my ambition to run for President but never included my manifestos as the time for that hasn't come.
After all these, my DM welcomed a lot of messages. Some came to check if I'm truly in my right senses to have declared such. The most significant DM that wasted my attention was the one from our past comrades. They tried to shun my ambition, plague my name, and tested who I was. One of the past comrades (Name withheld) chatted me privately, abused me, and tried to diversify all the people I managed during Tutorial for online. This mischievous act was supported by virtually all other excos to-be. From my investigation, they had a WhatsApp group of which these comrades were among as it is obvious even in our normal class WhatsApp group. They personified one of our lecturers (Name withheld) and sent the bogus chats to me of which I have the lecturer's phone number. The photo uploaded as profile picture in the chats the comrade sent to me was fake compared to the valid contact I have. Upon noting this, I quickly let him know that he was deceiving me. His hands went down the desk. A day after this, I made it known to everyone about what transpired between us and the threatening as well.
The same day, I did a voice note and sent it to my online tutorial group and from there someone (Name withheld) sent it to the excos to-be chats room.
The next day I started receiving calls and messages. All were hurling abusive words to me. For these people to have been behaving like this, definitely I spoke bad to them. To me, It wasn't bad at all. It was a reciprocal of what they did or sent someone to do.
Since I've never experienced such hatred before in my life, I sat myself down and puzzled on why did I want this post. I proposed this to my philosophy of life and I made the conclusion to still progress irrespective of all odds. During this time, I was still afraid because having a good result is what can still redeem such person who has ambition to contest to the day of election. The results came out at last, I was a bit happy because it wasn't what I hoped for. But Alhamdulillah.
Before we resumed, I met a man online (Name withheld) we had a long conversation the day we met. I presented my agenda before him but he still wasn't satisfied as I've already known his objective of coming to shun me. This man played a crucial role in the election. Some weeks to election, he called me and said I should let go of my ambition. I insisted. He said he has everything in power to put his candidate in the position and I never argued after hearing this. I calmed down and played on him. He therefore begged me to go for SPEAKER but warned me to never tell anyone the plan. That if I do, he's going to deny saying such. I slightly agreed with him and we both departed. But I never agreed within myself. Also, a night to election day, the post I refused to accept from him was given to a friend of mine (Name withheld) that same night. He received his call right before me.
When we resumed, I still received a lot of friends probably those who couldn't call me while we were at home. Some turned to an overnight enemy. But I wasn't freaked out. I still moved on. Months passed before the form for the election came out. I went online to get the form and registered and printed out a copy to be submitted to the DSS office.
We submitted the copy to a representative (Name withheld) who will submit it but unfortunately mine was sent back. I was pained and felt that was the end of the journey. Honestly within me, I knew that was the end. During the day of the campaign, I didn't partake in the campaigning. Many trusted friends went in search of me, but I couldn't just do what they want. Submission of the form is the key to the portal for anyone who wants to contest.
What's my ambition for the post? The ambition was picked from when I had a conversation with my News editior at The Guardian newspaper. It formed part of my ambition goals. The list are endless to some post-seeker, but mine was just two: Press board system and Utilization of the Mass communication Studio. About the press board system, it's owned over all the institutions that mass communication is part of their program. Within Kwara State itself, Kwara State University, University of ilorin all have these press board system. From investigation, Kwarapoly had it then but due to improper handling, it was dejected. The Studio comes next. About five-years-old now, the studio has not been made used in the best form of usage.
This is not in terms of monetary value of furnishing the studio, it's about making it known and useful within the students of the department and Kwara State Polytechnic at large.
The reincarnation of a past comrade to the post of President: Before our set, there's been a grudges between the 'reincarnate' and some other comrades. These made them to go their way and apply for the candidate of their choice. Up till the last meeting held a day to election, this 'reincarnate's' symbol wasn't present and which shows a great dissaffection they both had for themselves.
The future of NAMCOS in 10-years to come: NAMCOS is a group that godfatherizes, dominates to who they want to be in the seat again.
I wasn't supported by any past comrades. I did my job alone with a blinking of a car light, come and go(The one that accepted the post offered). I was the contesting-president without households, I mean no SPEAKER, GEN.SEC, SOCIAL DIRECTOR and the likes. I talked to a lot of people, motivated them to come and contest, all were afraid and don't want to get involved in school politics. The 33 votes amidst my colleagues' votes was my only and last energy till the referee blow the final whistle. NAMCOS needs to remove Godfatherism. It kills. The issue happening in Nigeria now is caused by these set of inept godfathers. The motion for HND is a collective tasks. It's not a comrade work but every student that makes up Mass communication. The class room will then set in once this HND has been put in place.

Babalola Qayyum Opeyemi
May 19th, 2020.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

JOURNALISTS: ARE WE SAFE ? -The unrevealed death of Dele Giwa and other journalists.

JOURNALISTS: ARE WE SAFE ? -The unrevealed death of Dele Giwa and other journalists.         Having been certified through a certificate, it is a license to move on a sacred path. Journalism is not a crime, we only serve as watch-dog to relay what has happened to the society fulfilling; fidelity, clarification, and intensifying to a scenario. All of these in the modern world have almost if not difficult to put into practice - rendering us as an empty barrel! It is so unfortunate that the law which establishes the practices of journalism is turned against us. They've made us forget our ethics buying us over with chicken feed.       On 16th March 1947, Sumonu Oladele Giwa was born into a poor family in Ile Ife. Their family was so poor that they couldn't get an apartment to call a room of theirs. The wretched life his parents were battling with made him attend a local primary school which is not standardized to called a school. By struggling, he arose to beat and excel aca

Sources in Journalism

Sources in Journalism -Kinds of attributional sources in news journalism Source in journalism is like a friend to journalists. They can't do without each other. Source is the backbone most media organizations and journalists rely on. Journalists get information through interviews and sources. Before the invasion of Iraq in 2003, the New York Times and most media news in the USA rely on anonymous sources for their publication. Source can be, anonymous, user-generated content, social media or inter-personal etc. Sources are the fundamental thing that distinguishes us as a journalist. It is what makes us unique from those who write opinions. Sources are essential to building trust and that's the beauty of journalism. Professional journalists always want to keep themselves away from their story and follow what sources said. Sources can fail most time and that's why it advisable to have a variety of sources. Sources add beauty, information, worth, and above all credibility to a

Why Looming ASUU Strike Must Be Averted

By Opeyemi Babalola It seems that the institutions under the aegis of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) will undergo another industrial action once more. Nobody knows how long this very own will take but another strike seems looming.  The strike has become a cankerworm that has eaten deep into the fabric of the Nigerian University education. Last year December, Members of the ASUU agreed to end a 9-month old strike after a resolution between the union and the federal government was reached.  Last two weeks, the President of ASUU, Prof Emmanuel Osodeke, disclosed that there was every possibility to embark on another strike as the federal government had not met their demands agreed on in December 2020. Osodeke, in an interview with The PUNCH, accused the federal government of playing on lecturers. He reiterated the union's motive on opposing the use of Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS). He had alleged that the use of IPPIS made it p